Sunday, January 25, 2009

The sirens sang so sweet and watched the sailors going down.

Today, I saw a three-legged dog and a rabbit on a leash, waiting patiently for a bus. Today, I entered a John Irving novel. I've also decided that Sunday is my adventuring day. Monday-Tuesday, those are my reading days. Monday at 2:30 (14:30) I also have a creative writing workshop with my fellow writers. Wednesday, I have class until 1 (13:00), then I get hot chocolate. Thursday, I have class at 2 (14:00) and that ends at 4 (16:00). Friday, I have class at the same time as Thursday, but after class, at 4 (16:00) I go for hot chocolate.

And turn off the lights, but that's just me.

Saturday is for nothing-ness.

And Sunday I adventure. Today, I went to Leith, down by the waterfront. I saw a sailor with no face -- taking the idea of the unknown soldier to extremes, perhaps -- the church where William Burns seduced Daughter Alice the choir girl tattoo artist, the aforementioned three-legged dog and Peter Rabbit. There was a sun-shower and a rainbow, making Edinburgh officially a fairy-tale city. Graffiti soothed my already-chilled nerves and compelled me to not be afraid. I saw the Waters of Leith, which does sound like an Irish song, Brian. (Leith is pronounced "Leeth," not "Layth" or "Lieth.") I saw seven buses with Paul Rudd's face on them -- pictures to follow. Elvis advertised "Books, CDs" and an old man in suspenders and a scally cap painted the outside of a bar moss-green.I met a German shepherd named Harley, like the motorcycle. I found the Blues Brothers in a storefront, against a tartan background, and on a shelf above some Navajos. Dizzy Gillespie is alive and well, or at least inspiring pubs in Leith. Vinyl Villains reminded me of James; it's his type of record store. Oh, there are some giraffes outside an enormous cinema, along with a giant foot, giant hand, and something that looks inexplicably like a dismembered neck? Some people like Morrisey; others think he is, uh, a very dirty word. And thus they deface posters of him. I won't be posting that particular picture here, but it will eventually make its way to my facebook, I'm sure


For those of you who were riveted by my ineptitude, and I know you exist (cough, KJax, cough), you will be disappointed to hear that neither of us mentioned it when I went in yesterday. So that was... good. He also gave me the directions that led me to the waterfront. I asked him for the best way to get to the docks, and he was telling me about buses and said if he hadn't knocked out the wifi the day before, he could show me on a map. To which I replied, "I have a map!" Also that I would like to walk, instead. And he showed me on the map how to walk there. He also pointed out which area of Leith he lives in. We chatted about gentrification and performing bears for a bit -- I was reading Hotel New Hampshire, bien sur -- and he almost chastised me for not using my "Loyalty" card. (Seven drinks, get the eighth free!) Something to do with me wanting to pay for my hot chocolate, and him thinking I didn't have to...

Oh, and did you hear the one from Friday morning? "I'm going to start putting alcohol in your hot chocolate," he said, joking. And what did I say? "I don't actually drink." Followed by, "But the one time I got drunk, I got really good at Trivial Pursuit."

Because yes, I am that cool.

1 comment:

  1. Sundays should be for nothingness! Enjoy every one of them!

    ReplyDelete