Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mystery White Boy


"I would be completely insane. Or I'd take up sculpture, and if I didn't have sculpture I'd take up screenplays, and if I didn't have that I'd take up something else. Anything artistic. But music seems to me to be the most closely identified with my soul. I mean, I feel that it's the best for me. It just gets into the bloodstream so quickly, for no reason at all. You can close your heart, and you can sleep even with your eyes closed, but you can never close your ears. "

"Grace is what matters. In anything. Especially life, especially growth, tragedy, pain, love, death. About people, that's what matters. That's a quality I admire very greatly. It keeps you from reaching for the gun too quickly; it keeps you from destroying things too foolishly; it sort of keeps you alive and keeps you open for more understanding."



I've been thinking of you; I've been missing you. To listen to your music is like being born. I can't pretend I like everything you ever did, but when your music worked, it was like nothing else this world has ever heard. I was convinced at one point that you were the reincarnation of James Dean, here to finish what he'd started. But there are some things too strange and beautiful for this world and you, like James Dean, were one of them. You broke beautifully, poetically, like glass turned to diamonds, and then you disappeared, rather like your soul simply sublimated and became something else and you were no more. I wonder what you would make of the mess we've made of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment