Wednesday, May 6, 2009

JCrew's Next Top Model

The Meadows look like Lacoste and J Crew had a baby that married Lily Pulitzer and then they had a baby and that baby exploded everywhere, drenching the Meadows in prep school guts.

Which is to say it's all petal pinks and grassy greens. Boys with double-popped polo collars playing frisbee and soccer. Girls in sundresses and argyle. Still, even in the spring, with the argyle. It reminds me of Will and his life goal of wearing a piece of argyle every day for the rest of his life.

But this brings up an interesting point. I have not perused a JCrew catalog in a good, long time. And now, for SPalm7's sake, I'm giving you this: a critique of what they're offering.



From Miscellaneous


I like his haircut and his casually ruffled appearance. He's not quite a ragamuffin but he's also not totally metro. Good Saturday afternoon charm. I don't think he'd hold up quite as well in the suit department, not the way Prom Date would have, but we do need to remember that Prom Date was the standard for ALL JCrew models ever.

(Aside: Prom Date is not a reference to anyone I actually went to prom with, but rather a reference to a specific blue-eyed JCrew model for whom I felt particular fondness. SPalm7 understands my point beautifully.)


From Miscellaneous


He looks like he has something on his shoe. His face is weird, too. He looks a little old-money for my taste.



From Miscellaneous


JCrew is getting crazy, here. Come on, scruff and a slightly rumpled unironed blazer? Worn with jeans? Talk about insanity! That being said, he has the JCrew hair and he's wearing pink, but I think he's my favorite so far. (Though, not nearly so wonderful as Prom Date. RIP.)



From Miscellaneous


He's got a bit of the Chris Evans about him and I don't think anyone told him this is JCrew, not a film poster for a Nick Cage movie. Do I even need to add anything to that?



From Miscellaneous


I'm sorry, but what were they thinking? Are times this hard? Though I like the forced casual of the pose. It's a nice touch.



From Miscellaneous


The white jeans and pocket kerchief ruin it, but overall, I think he's the most standard of the JCrew models. Most like a throwback to the good old days when I was a senior in high school. I think he's proven to have the best range and he clearly is handsome, though not OVERLY handsome in a Gucci or Armani sort of way, because that's not how JCrew rolls. And he's also not effete. As I said earlier about him, clear winner.



From Miscellaneous


Pretty. Boring. Yawn. I can't even be bothered.


And now for the question I know you're all asking yourselves. What happened to their silver fox requirement? If I knew, I'd tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment