Monday, May 18, 2009

Eagle flew out of the night

We've been going to pub quizzes. It started accidentally. Cara and I went to Links for a drink one night and a pub quiz began while we were there. We didn't do well, but we were named Team Papelbon and the quizmaster looked like the sort of guy you might find at the Middle East, so it was amusing. Anyway, he hated our team name and we loved it so we decided to go to the next quiz night, which was Tuesday at another bar, and we named our team Papelbon again. He hated us. Kept telling us to change our name.

But we finished third and won a bag of Twix.

So last night we were at the quiz and it happened like this:

He hands out the answer sheet.
I wrote "Team Daisuke Matsuzaka" at the top.
I looked at the "stinker" question and saw it was a "What comes next in the series" question.
We handed it off to the two members of our team who are in Mensa.
I drink my water and doodle.
I glance over at them as they do their mathematical calculations.
LBJ glares out at me.
And GBW.
And WJC.
And GWHB.
And... JESUS CHRIST IT'S SO SIMPLE IT'S BEAUTIFUL.


Ok, here was the whole sequence.

GWB WJC GHWB RWR JEC GRF RMN LBJ ___

Yeah. It was that good. Anyway, the quizmaster really hates us and our desire to trip him up with our names. But I felt pretty special right then because, come on, that question was designed for me. The whole process took all of ninety seconds.



I finished all my exams. We'll see how they went later.

A group of us from my Scottish history course took our professor out for a drink on Saturday night and it was delightful. Afterward, Amandine, Jordan, and I went for McDonalds.

Tonight, I am going to see Chicago because Jordan has a ticket she couldn't get rid of and I'm just that obliging. Haha, I'm actually really excited.

Home in ten days. I bet you can't wait to see me.

10 comments:

  1. 10 days...wow that went fast and slow. BHO , that is if it is supposed to be GWB..not GBW and GHWB and not GWHB. love always...MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's GWB. And GHWB. But I thought you'd get it easily. It's so simple... BHO is definitely not the right answer. I'll post it in three days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CBYWBHSS! IWBVF! WLU!

    Auntie Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're all just over-thinking it. Breathe deep. Focus on the end of the list. Let your mind wander. Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's JFK.. But can you figure out what I said in my comment????

    A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...sorry. I didn't see the whole list...thought it was LBJ forward. Yeah like she said..JFK. BHO would be first on that list..not last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What did you say in the first post Al?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi its Bay! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait for you to come home!!! I wish there could be another HARRY POTTER!
    LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg I caught a fly ball in baseball!! it was the 3rd out. I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She said "Can't believe you're home so soon. Went by very fast. We love you."

    Bay-bay, that's so awesome! I was bragging to my friends all day about it, actually. And they all got it because I've been teaching these Scots about baseball.

    ReplyDelete