Thursday, February 10, 2011

You got a friend in me (all of you)

Last year, the frontrunner was Up. It was okay, but let's be clear: The Secret of Kells was infinitely more beautiful and unusual.

This year is a bit of a toss-up, between Toy Story 3 and The Illusionist. I've seen two of the three, but I've not seen The Illusionist. I'm dying to. And there's a really good reason that my old followers might know.

Most of the movie is set in the 'Burgh. I saw a still from it and I knew those spires, those cobblestones, it felt like home. And it looks sweet. That seems to be the theme this year with the animated films. All three are really, really sweet. Toy Story 3 and The Illusionist are also all about loss of something, childhood or an era.

Meanwhile, How To Train Your Dragon is funny, smart, and impeccable. I haven't seen the last one yet, but it's set in my second home, my British home. Toy Story is funny, smart, and plays on your nostalgia. It's the best job Tom Hanks has done in ages, and it's not afraid to be devastatingly tragic. (Happy ending, though!) It wasn't made for kids; it was made for my generation. "Ok, guys, you're graduating college now. Be GROWNUPS!"

I'm just so sad about having to choose a favorite eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment