Sunday, December 14, 2008

Everybody needs a thrill, and you are that for me

"I put your picture on my windowsill."

Travel backwards with me, please. Another time machine moment. First day of tenth grade. Mr. Rozen's room, natch. Which is to say that Liam and Steve are there, but that's so whatever. Steve will ditch me last minute to join Liam's group and I have to do my stupid silicon commercial all by myself. Not where I'm going with this. Oh, god.

So. He walks in. (And I swear this is relevant. But I won't say how.) How had I missed him all of freshman year? That hair, those eyes, that smile. Needless to say, he proved to be even better once I got to know him. And that's not sarcasm. He's been on my mind since that day.

He made it worse when he signed my yearbook.

Which might seem totally irrelevant.



But how is a crush ever irrelevant? (Gosh, I'm cryptic.)





Loose ends have begun to knot themselves tightly and without chance of un-knotting. Which is good, especially since the knotting was a fairly painless -- even, dare I say, fun? -- experience. Usually that shit hurts. This just felt... comfortable. Which is, I suppose, how the whole thing felt, for the most part. This was the Semester of Comfort. Which I like.

And on Friday, I met with Professor Moss, whom I might be in love with FYI, so we could talk about Edinburgh. Which is to say my new favorite topic. She gave me some good advice: leave your bedding at home. Bring only two big sweaters. Backpack instead of suitcase. Helllllz yeah.

Do you know how much I'm going to miss that class? Experimental history, that is. HMoss and MSandweiss, two of the absolute best profs I've had the pleasure to work with. And Professor Sandweiss is moving to Princeton, which makes me think I should apply for grad school at Princeton now, as well as at Iowa. I don't want this class to end, seriously. I've never been this upset about a class being over.




Ok, bedtime. Rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment